Mattress Buying Guide
Your Guide to Buying a New Mattress
We understand that selecting a new mattress can be stressful—especially since it’s not a purchase you make very often. Here is a simple guide to help make the selection process go more smoothly. The information provided will help you find the right mattress for your lifestyle and your budget.
When is it time to purchase a new mattress?
- Your mattress is more than 8 years old (check the tag to determine the age of your mattress).
- There are obvious signs of wear and tear on your mattress (pulled threads, sagging, stains, etc.)
- Your current mattress feels too small and crowded for you and your partner.
- When lying in bed, you can feel the coils of the mattress poking through.
- When moving around in bed, you hear creaks and pops in the mattress.
- In the middle of the night, you find yourself rolling toward the middle of the bed or off the edge of the bed.
- You wake up each night tossing and turning.
New Mattress Checklist
This is a simple checklist that you can complete before your mattress shopping begins. This will help to narrow down your search. And don’t be afraid to ask questions—that’s what we are here for!
SIZE: To determine the best mattress size for you, your space and your partner, consider these points... For length, determine the tallest person that will be sleeping in the bed. The mattress you select should be longer than that person. For width, you must allow for enough space between you and your partner. Both of you should fold your arms behind your head while lying down. Your elbows should not go over the edge of the mattress or be touching the other person’s elbows.
BUDGET:To determine the budget for your new mattress, remember that you get what you pay for—the higher the quality (and cost), the better the comfort, support and durability of the mattress. However, choose the mattress that will meet your needs as well as your budget. When you arrive at the store, let the salesperson know what your budget is so they can direct you to the best options in your price range. Also, if you are selecting a mattress for your guest room, remember to inform the salesperson of that (many mattress stores have a different section for “guest” mattresses). Before you enter the store, consider these points…
- The least I will spend on my new mattress is $_________.
- The most I can spend on my new mattress is $_________.
- I (am / am not) willing to consider floor models and other clearance options if available.
TEST-DRIVE: The best way to determine the perfect mattress for you and your partner is to take them for a test-drive. We know, no one wants to lie on the display beds in front of their fellow shoppers, but it is an important step in the process! Once the salesperson has shown you the options in your price range, take the time to test out each mattress. Lie on your back, stomach, left side and right side for 3-5 minutes each. As you test each mattress, ask yourself these questions…
- Do I like my mattress firm or soft?
- Which brand of mattress do I trust most?
- What features of a mattress can I live without? What features of a mattress can I NOT live without?
DELIVERY: Don’t forget to inquire about delivery options for your new mattress and the disposal options for your old mattress.
- Is shipping and/or delivery included?
- Will they dispose of my old mattress for me? Is there a charge for this?
- Could I recycle my old mattress? Will the store do it for me?
- How long before my new mattress is delivered?
RETURN POLICY/WARRANTY: Be sure to ask the salesperson about the warranty on your new mattress and the return policy of the store.
- If returned, will there be any return fees, restocking fees or penalty fees involved?
- What exactly does the warranty on my new mattress cover? Will it become void if tears or stains occur due to use?
Finishing Touches for Your Perfect Night’s Sleep
Now that your new mattress is selected, don’t forget to consider the following bedding accessories that will help make every night’s sleep a perfect night’s sleep.
PILLOWS: Dust mites can accumulate inside your pillows which can aggravate your allergies and disturb your sleep. It is a smart idea to replace your pillows every 2-5 years. In-between this time, you should wash your pillows every 3-6 months in hot water with laundry detergent.
FRAMES: Be sure to consider the advantages of low-profile frames versus bed rails with headboards and footboards. Bed frames take up far less space, and they sit closer to the floor to allow for an easier entrance and exit of the bed.
MATTRESS COVERS: A quality mattress cover will keep your mattress protected inside and out from stains, spills and general wear and tear. If you have a young child who is still potty training, consider a mattress cover for protection against those nighttime accidents.
MATTRESS TOPPERS: A mattress topper will add an extra layer of support and comfort to your sleeping experience. Mattress toppers come in many variations including high-tech gel, memory foam and organic cotton or wool.